Sunday, May 16, 2010

Not just a runner anymore

I started running in 2002 because I wanted to challenge myself, set a realistic yet difficult goal, and see if I could reach it. I'm not the fastest, thinnest, or most-dedicated person on the trail, but I'm addicted to the way running makes me feel and to helping others experience that feeling.

Last year, I met my marathon goal (ran a 4:23 at Last Chance for Boston in Dublin OH, thus beating Oprah Winfrey's 4:29 at the Marine Corps Marathon in 1994). And I PR'd in the half marathon (2:03 at the Cap City Half). "Someday" running goals are to break 2-hours in the half and to "age into" qualifying for the Boston Marathon one day. At by present age (51), I would have to run a 4:05 (won't happen). At 55, I would need a 4:15 (possible) and at 60, a 4:30 (can do!). I want to stay injury-free and healthy enough to train for a 4:15 finish in 2013.

No comments: